A Bluffton Personal Injury Attorney Who Puts Victims’ Rights – and Their Just Compensation – First
Being injured by someone else’s negligence can leave you struggling to keep up financially, physically, and emotionally. If this is the situation you find yourself in, you have a difficult journey ahead, but an experienced Bluffton personal injury lawyer in South Carolina can help. Obtaining compensation that covers your complete damages is the best way to ensure that you reach your fullest recovery, and your dedicated personal injury lawyer is on it.
Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims arising from accidents caused by the negligence of someone who owes you a duty of care. For example, when you head out in your car, you accept the immense responsibility that comes with driving, and you owe a duty of care to everyone with whom you share the road. When a motorist fails to live up to this duty and injures someone in the process, personal injury law applies. Personal injury claims come in wide-ranging forms, but some are more common than others.
As mentioned, motorists owe everyone else on the road a duty of care that includes carefully following the rules of the road; driving safely about the traffic all around; and factoring in the condition of the road, including the effect that inclement weather (or anything else) has on it. Common traffic accident claims include car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. Traffic accidents are typically caused by driver negligence, which is often the basis of these personal injury claims, and such negligence can come in all of the following forms:
- Excess speed
Doctors, other medical professionals, and medical entities owe you a duty of care that amounts to adhering to the standard of care that their peers would apply in similar situations. When a medical professional fails to adhere to the accepted medical practices, it can lead to severe injuries and extensive damages.
Premises Liability Claims
The owners and managers of the commercial properties you visit, such as restaurants, stores, offices, and more, are required to maintain their premises in the reasonably safe condition necessary to allow for your safe passage. Failure to do so can lead to severe accidents, such as slip and fall incidents.
Other Common Claims
Other common personal injury claims include:
- Claims related to workplace injuries
- Dog bites
- Nursing home abuse
- Title IX actions
- Wrongful death claims
Why You Need an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney on Your Side
Personal injury claims are complicated. In addition to proving the other party’s fault in the matter, you must establish the physical, financial, and emotional damages you’ve suffered – and skillfully negotiate for a settlement that covers your complete damages under exacting laws. The good news is that you are not alone in this matter. Your accomplished personal injury lawyer will tackle the legal complications while you focus on your recovery. Consider the following:
- Your personal injury lawyer will compile your most substantial claim, including all relevant evidence, which can include eyewitness testimony.
- Your personal injury lawyer may bring in expert testimony in support of your claim.
- Your personal injury lawyer will bring the full force of their impressive experience in their negotiations with the insurance company.
- Your personal injury lawyer will know when to cease negotiations – if the insurance company refuses to negotiate in good faith and move forward toward trial.
The Insurance Company
No matter how kind and accommodating the insurance representative who is handling your case is, you must keep one very important factor in mind, and this is that the insurance company is in the business of turning a profit and will do what it needs to do to keep your settlement as low as possible. Be on the lookout for the following strategies:
- An Early Lowball Settlement Offer – If the insurance company makes an early settlement offer, you are wise to be skeptical. They are very likely hoping you will settle out of desperation before you’re fully aware of your damages.
- A Swift Denial – If the insurance company denies your claim outright, it may speak more to their desire to shut you down than it does to the viability of your claim.
- A Prolonged or Protracted Process – The insurance company may attempt to make the claims process so complicated and lengthy that you are tempted to walk away.
- A Shift of Blame – The insurance company may attempt to reframe the accident in a way that shifts blame off of their client (the at-fault party) and toward you. In South Carolina, however, even if you do shoulder some of the blame (which is not to say that you do), you still have the legal right to seek compensation for the damages caused by the other party.
- A Denial of Your Damages – It is very common for insurance companies to minimize the extent of their claimants’ damages – in an attempt to cast doubt and settlements low.
There are several things you can do to help protect your claim from the insurance company’s antics from the outset, including allowing your experienced personal injury lawyer to speak to the insurance company on your behalf (you are not required to provide a statement, and you are well-advised not to do so), seeking the medical attention you need and closely adhering to the advice of your doctors, and laying low on social media until your claim is finalized (the insurance company will be watching – and looking for a way to twist your posts or photos to their advantage).
Discuss Your Concerns with an Experienced Bluffton Personal Injury Lawyer Today
At David Aylor Law Offices in Bluffton, South Carolina, the personal injury lawyers are committed to skillfully advocating for your claim’s favorable resolution throughout the legal process. To learn more about how we can help you, please don’t wait to contact or call us at 843-744-4444 to schedule your free case evaluation today.