A Personal Injury Attorney in Loris Committed to Advocating for Justice
Personal injury is a category of the law that relates to accidents caused by negligence. Being injured by someone else’s negligence can leave you facing considerable physical, financial, and emotional losses. Still, a dedicated Loris personal injury lawyer can help you on the path toward your most complete recovery.
Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims come in many different varieties, but they are all based on negligence related to a duty of care owed. For example, medical professionals owe their patients a duty of care that translates to doing what other reasonable medical professionals would do in similar situations. Further, every motorist on the road owes a duty of care to everyone else on the road that amounts to driving safely about what’s happening on the road. When a duty of care is neglected (regardless of the venue), it can lead to severe accidents, and personal injury law applies.
Common Types of Personal Injury Claims
While no two personal injury claims are ever exactly alike, some of the most common categories include:
- Traffic accidents, such as car, motorcycle, and truck accidents
- Premises liability claims, such as slip and fall accidents
- Claims arising from dog bites
- Claims arising from medical malpractice
- Claims arising from nursing home abuse or neglect
Other closely related claims related to personal injury law include wrongful death claims (in which the accident victim succumbs to their injuries) and workers’ compensation claims. Employees are injured on the job.
The Insurance Company’s Role
The at-fault party’s insurance company will likely be responsible for covering your claim, which means it will play a significant role in your claim. The insurance company is on the hook for compensating you fairly for the damages you’ve suffered, but the insurance company also has its ideas. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses that endeavor to keep their profits high and their settlements low. While this is great for the insurance company itself, it does not do you claim any favors. Be on the lookout for the following less-than-upstanding practices on the part of the insurance company:
- Denying claims outright
- Prolonging and complicating the claims process
- Offering early settlement offers that are far too low
- Shifting fault from the client to the claimant
- Casting doubt on the seriousness of the claimant’s damages
Fortunately, your experienced personal injury lawyer is well versed in dealing with these tactics (and many more besides).
The Benefits of a Personal Injury Lawyer
Insurance companies are powerful, and battling it out with them alone is not something you should take on without the guidance of a trusted personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer will take on all of the following essential tasks:
- Communicating with the insurance company and providing it with whatever information it needs (you are well-advised to defer to your lawyer when it comes to these communications)
- Skillfully negotiating with the insurance company – while cutting through any antics that it gets up to
- Gathering and skillfully compiling all related evidence, which can include eyewitness testimony and expert testimony
- Guiding your claim toward its best possible resolution, which includes being prepared to go to court if the insurance company chooses not to negotiate in good faith
The personal injury claims process is complicated, and you owe it to yourself and your recovery to work closely with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Pursuing Your Claim
Regardless of the kind of claim you have, some important steps can help you bolster your ability to obtain the compensation that covers your damages in their entirety, including:
- Seek the medical attention you need as soon after the accident as possible
- Take your doctor seriously and follow their directions carefully
- Gather evidence at the scene of the accident if possible, including photos and videos of anything relevant and eyewitness testimony (along with contact information)
- Jot down everything you remember about how the accident happened as soon after it happens as possible (this memorialization preserves your memories and can prove very important as your claim moves forward)
- Consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer and work closely with them as you move forward with your claim
- Give social media a pass until your claim is finalized (the insurance company is looking for anything it can get its hands on that may help it cast doubt on your claim – even if it has to twist your words and photos to do so)
Your Associated Damages
An essential element of your personal injury lawyer’s role in ensuring that the damages you’ve endured are front and center in your claim.
Your medical expenses can include wide-ranging treatments and care, such as:
- Emergency care
- Follow-up care
- Medical treatment from doctors and specialists
- Pain management
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Adaptive physical devices
You’ve been injured, which means that you will likely be off the job while you heal. In turn, this means that you are almost sure to experience a loss in earnings. If your injuries are severe, a loss in earning potential is a possibility.
Pain and Suffering
The physical and emotional pain and suffering you experience can be overwhelming, and many victims suffer significant emotional consequences that can include:
- Nightmares and other sleep disturbances
- Increased anxiety, including anxiety attacks
- Bouts of depression
- Severe mood swings
- Shifts in personality
- Accident flashbacks
- Social anxiety
- Emotional lability
Call Us Today to Schedule a Consultation with a Loris Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, the compassionate Loris, South Carolina, personal injury lawyers at David Aylor Law Offices, are standing by to help. We take great pride in helping clients like you successfully navigate the claims process to pursue optimal outcomes. We’re here for you, too, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 843-744-4444 to schedule your free case evaluation today.