Truck accidents cause more than 5,000 deaths in the United States each year. They cause thousands more injuries. Victims are left to suffer the devastating effects.
What can you do if you’re in a truck accident?
Our South Carolina truck accident lawyers have been representing injured victims since 2007. We can represent you to make a claim so that you can receive fair compensation for your truck accident.
Trucks are a lot bigger than passenger cars. Their size can make the impact of a crash more devastating. Many trucks carry toxins and loads that are flammable. All these contributing factors are a recipe for disaster. It’s not surprising that the occupants of passenger cars have the highest rates of injury and death in truck accidents.
You may qualify for a monetary payout to reflect your physical injuries, financial losses and suffering. Our South Carolina truck accident lawyers at the David Aylor Law Offices are a team of professionals who help injured people get compensated. Contact us today at (843) 548-1570 or fill out our consultation form to talk about your case.
Truck Driver Negligence and Fraud Leads to Collisions
There are thousands of trucks operating in South Carolina at any time. Drivers should be trained, licensed and experienced. They should use reasonable care and caution. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen. Sadly, many truck accidents occur because of driver negligence. In a word, these accidents are preventable.
If you’re hurt in a crash, you may receive monetary compensation. You must start the case and make the request for payment. At David Aylor Law Offices, we’re experienced professionals who help truck accident victims navigate this complex process.
Additional Truck Accident Information
- Trucks are more likely to be in fatal accidents than cars
- Many trucks operate on the road over their legally-allowable weight. The additional weight greatly increases the danger
- As many as 15% of fatal truck accidents are because of overloaded and poorly loaded trailers
- 85% of the deaths are not the truck driver. They are people in another vehicle or a pedestrian
- Drivers falling asleep is a significant problem. As many as 20% of truckers admit to falling asleep at the wheel at least once a month
- Truck drivers are not excused from safe driving behaviors just because they are driving a truck. In fact, they have a very high legal duty because they are driving for a commercial purpose
To learn more about Truck accident statistics for South Carolina visit the SCDPS Traffic Collision Factbook.
David Aylor Law Offices works to hold truck drivers and their employers responsible for causing a crash. Contact us for a consultation by calling (843)548-1570 or fill out our case evaluation form.
South Carolina Trucking Accident Lawyer
David Aylor has built the David Aylor Law Offices to a reputation of success on behalf of victims, including trucking accident victims. By focusing exclusively on representing individuals and families, the law firm has gained the experience, resources, and mission to effectively represent those who are injured.
Because of the serious nature of the injuries and harm usually involved in a truck accident, it’s important that you work with a lawyer for your case. You likely have extensive medical bills and a host of other losses. You need and deserve compensation. At the same time, the trucking company and the insurance company don’t want to pay. It takes legal skill and experience to truly get the compensation that you deserve.
David Aylor has a history of success for his clients. Just some of the honors he has received include:
- Best personal injury attorney (Charleston’s Choice)
- Best Law Firm in Charleston (Charleston City Paper)
- Best Lawyer in Charleston (Charleston City Paper)
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell
When you work with David Aylor Law Offices, you’re working with a team that has represented accident victims throughout South Carolina since 2007. We’ll work diligently from start to finish to ensure that your case receives the aggressive representation that you deserve.
What causes trucking accidents in South Carolina?
No one expects to be in an accident. While crashes usually don’t happen on purpose, they are often caused by a lack of care. In other words, if someone had just been a bit more prepared, cautious or aware, the accident may not have happened.
Common causes of accidents are:
- Driving while tired or fatigued: Truck drivers are often paid by the miles that they drive. They are under pressure to meet deadlines and make deliveries. They often exceed their allowed hours and fail to take breaks when they need to.
- DUI: Driving under the influence is dangerous behavior. Commercial drivers who choose to drink and drive may face licensing sanctions as well as a responsibility to the victim for damages.
- Road hazards: Weather conditions, debris and even deteriorated roads can cause an accident.
- Vehicle maintenance: Truckers put hundreds of miles on their vehicles each day. They need to keep their vehicles in good condition. Maintenance issues may lead to harm.
- Traffic violations: It’s important for truckers to always follow the rules of the road including speed limits, traffic lights, merges and lane changes. Even if it seems like a small thing, the result can be devastating injuries when a crash occurs.
Who Was At-Fault in My Truck Accident?
A truck accident claim always starts with determining who is at fault for an accident. South Carolina is an “at fault” state – the party at fault pays.
Determining fault isn’t always as easy as reading an accident report. For example, if the underlying cause of the accident is a vehicle design issue, that may not be clear in the initial investigation.
In addition, employers are usually responsible for the actions of their drivers.
Our South Carolina truck accident lawyers know how to investigate the legal fault and determine who may be responsible for paying damages.
We Handle Insurance Companies
Talking to an insurance company after an accident isn’t an enjoyable task. It’s their goal not to pay you. They have a team of lawyers working for them to find reasons to deny claims.
As soon as you hire us, we take over speaking to the insurance company. We know what information to submit and what not to say. We know how settlements are negotiated and how to interact effectively as we work to resolve your claim.
The insurance company is relying on the fact that you’re not legally experienced. But you can level the playing field and insist on fair treatment. When you work with David Aylor Law Offices, you have a team of South Carolina truck accident lawyers working on your behalf. We fight the insurance companies to work towards a fair settlement that truly represents your losses and damages.
What Should I Do After a Trucking Accident?
Immediately after a trucking accident, make sure that you are in a safe place. Call the police and an ambulance. Seek medical attention and cooperate with the police investigation. Don’t admit you’re at fault or say that you’re sorry.
If you are able, get contact information for the truck driver, including their company information. Once you’ve addressed your emergency medical needs, reported the accident to law enforcement and gathered basic information about the others involved, contact our experienced truck accident lawyers.
We’re able to begin working on your case right away. We’re eager to save evidence, document damages and resolve your case fairly and quickly.
What Type of Compensation Can I Get in a Truck Accident Settlement?
You can receive economic damages and non-economic damages. Medical expenses, lost work and vehicle damage are examples of economic damages. Non-economic damages represent your personal suffering and anguish. Both types of damages are important and should be a part of your claim.
Hire a Charleston Trucking Accident Lawyer Today
At David Aylor Law Offices, we’re here to handle the legal aspects of your trucking accident claim while you recover. Get fairly compensated, and know that you’re working with experienced professionals who have a history of helping people just like you in South Carolina. Contact our trucking accident lawyers at (843) 548-1570 today.