An Experienced Injury Attorney in Pawleys Island
Personal injury law addresses injuries that are caused by the negligence of another. Being injured is difficult enough, but when the cause is someone else’s negligence, it tends to add a layer of emotional complexity. If you find yourself in this trying situation, don’t wait to reach out for the professional legal guidance of an experienced Pawleys Island, a personal injury lawyer in South Carolina.
Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims can take almost any shape, but the kinds of claims that are most common include:
- Car accident claims
- Truck accident claims
- Motorcycle accident claims
- Slip and fall claims (and other premises liability claims)
- Claims associated with dog bites
- Medical malpractice claims
- Nursing home abuse and neglect claims
Additionally, while a different area of the law addresses workers’ compensation and wrongful death claims, they are, nevertheless, very similar kinds of claims.
The Duty of Care Owed You
Other drivers on the road owe you a duty of care (and you owe them the same). Commercial property owners also owe you a duty of care – as does your doctor (and any other medical professional for whom you are a patient). This duty of care is the crux of personal injury law, and when negligence interferes with this duty, it can lead to serious accidents and resulting personal injury claims. For example, if a distracted driver who is busy texting behind the wheel causes you to be injured in a car accident, that driver failed to live up to the duty of care owed you, and your personal injury claim will address their negligence in the matter.
Your Complete Damages
Your personal injury claim will seek just compensation for your complete damages, which can be categorized as follows:
- Property damage (to your car, for example, if you were injured in a traffic accident)
- Medical expenses, which can be shockingly high and that can also be ongoing
- Lost earnings, which can lead to a decrease in potential earnings and even to an altered career path
- Emotional and physical pain and suffering, which can be exceptionally difficult to move past
A dedicated personal injury lawyer will take on an important task to ensure that your damages are fully represented in your personal injury claim.
Negotiations with the Insurance Company
As you move forward with your claim, you will be negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance provider for just compensation that covers your physical, financial, and emotional damages, which sounds straightforward enough – but which is often anything but. The bottom line is that, while it is true that the insurance company is paid specifically to compensate you, it is driven by profits, which makes settling claims like yours for less its primary goal. As such, it may engage in any number of the following dodgy practices:
- Offering you an early settlement that would help with your mounting medical bills and that may feel like a lifeline, but that is far too low to cover your complete damages
- Further complicating and prolonging the already complicated and lengthy claims process to the point that you give up in frustration
- Attempting to shift blame from their at-fault client and toward you (in the hope that you’ll cave)
- Calling the severity of your damages into doubt, which – after you’ve been through so much – can be very disheartening
With an experienced personal injury lawyer in your corner, you’ll be well prepared to thwart these underhanded practices.
What You Can Do
There are immediate steps that you can take to help you protect your claim – and to help ensure you receive just compensation – including all of the following:
- Accept medical attention at the scene of the accident and obtain the medical attention you need as soon after the accident as possible
- Follow your doctor’s instructions as carefully as possible
- Retain all evidence relevant to your claim that you can, including taking eyewitness accounts at the scene (if possible)
- Jot down your memories of how the accident happened – in as much detail as possible – as soon as you can (these early memories can prove very valuable as your claim proceeds)
- Stay off your social media accounts while your claim is pending (there is no need to provide the insurance company with the information it will attempt to misconstrue and use against you)
- Work closely with an experienced personal injury lawyer from the outset
Turn to Your Skilled Personal Injury Lawyer
A personal injury lawyer will take on many jobs throughout your claim, including:
- Skillfully advocating for your legal rights throughout the legal process
- Building your strongest claim
- Carefully compiling evidence in support of your claim
- Knowledgeably negotiating with the insurance company for just compensation that covers your damages in their entirety
- Skillfully countering any adverse tactics the insurance company attempts to use against your claim
- Ensuring that you understand the claims process, that your best interests are well represented, and that you feel heard throughout
Collaborating with a personal injury lawyer from the start is the very best path forward.
Don’t Put off Consulting with an Experienced Pawleys Island Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If someone else’s negligence leaves you injured in an accident, the path toward healing can be bumpy (at best), but a dedicated personal injury lawyer can help pave the way. The experienced Pawleys Island personal injury lawyers at David Aylor Law Offices recognize how difficult your situation is and are committed to employing every tool in their impressive legal arsenal in their quest to help you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled and that you need to reach your fullest recovery. For more information about how we can help you, please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 843-744-7444 to schedule your free case evaluation today.